I have Alopecia...


Wow, talk about a curveball.

But every time I’m presented with lemons, I always make the best Lemonade in town.

I was just diagnosed with having Alopacia, which is a condition in which hair is lost from some or all areas of the body, usually from the scalp.

So in Laymen’s term… I’m going bald.

It all started when my mother noticed a small patch of hair missing in the back of my head and asked had I shaved that area. I said no and just dismissed it as hair loss from headband friction because I wear a lot of headbands when I’m at work. Well the next day when I woke up, I noticed a large bald spot the size of a light bulb in the back of my head and I FREAKED.

That evening when I went to work, I showed a doctor on duty my bald spot and he told me to go see a dermatologist because it looks like Alopacia. Well I have an appointment with my Dermatologist on Thursday so he can do a skin test and determine the type of Alopacia that I have.

But I have made up my mind that I won’t do any treatments. I think being bald will add an element of uniqueness, especially for those who have a bald fetish.

I’m pretty ok with it all for the simple fact that I never really had any serious connections with my hair to begin with. After I had Micro braids for 4 months, I just decided to shave my head, but no one noticed because I always wore fabulous wigs.

Even today, I really don’t think any of my clients remember what my natural hair looks like except for the ones that loved my locks and Afro. Other than that, I always wore wigs.

This should be an interesting chain of events.

If the Alopacia is an aggressive form then I’ll probably loose all my hair within a Month!

We’ll see

Comments

  1. Even though you are handling it very well, I am sorry that this is happening to you. Hopefully it's not aggressive and the doctor can prescribe something to make it better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts