The Change Man....


There are certain clients that I’ve seen over the years that have made such a lasting impression on me because of their quirky behavior. One that comes to mind is a man named “Elbert” (Not his real name of course)

Elbert was my first likeable client. He was an 82 year old trumpet player who made a living playing Jazz music in supper clubs, Bistros and Senior Citizen communities.

His life fascinated me because he represented a bygone era of old school jazz and utter coolness. Elbert also had a love for black women, which he explains started when he toured New Orleans back in the 40’s. He was married 5 times with 6 children and at least 4 stray kids from mistresses.

He drank coffee with Miles Davis once and shared a stage with Ella Fitzgerald. Talk about a cool fabulous life.

But the one thing that stood out the most was the way he paid me. He paid me completely in change; quarters, nickels and dimes that is. Because I was also an avid collector of change, I accepted it eagerly. At that time my donation was something ridiculously low, like $80.

So he comes with a gallon ice-tea container filled to the brim with quarters, nickels, and dimes. He told me how he’d give his kids a gallon container of change for their birthdays back in the day, and I just looked at him with this WTF look. How cheap could a man be, I thought to myself?

Well the very next day I decided to take my change to the bank and have it converted to dollars. I stand there as the teller carefully cuts the container and pours my change in the counter. As she pours, I see 80, 150, 250, 350, 450, and it stops at $520.

DAMN, no wonder his children loved getting their gallon containers for their birthdays. I made $520 in change from a man who simply wanted to lay next to me nude and talk about his life and work.

What a great session that was!

Comments

Popular Posts