My life in Healthcare....

I decided to step away from sex and hooking today and talk about the other side of my persona that not too many of my readers know much about.... the nurse side.

As some of you may already know, I’m an LPN by trade.

Yes, your favorite friendly neighborhood Hooker is also an LPN. But I don’t like talking much about that side of my persona, because it’s my personal life, and I try really hard to keep the Hooker and my personal life separate.

But let’s go back 7 years to when I first started in the Healthcare Industry.

I was working as a Glaucoma Pre-Tester for a private Optometry office with a verbally abusive Doctor. I remember how she would humiliate me in front of patients, calling me slow and telling me how she shouldn’t pay me. She had this incredibly mean spirit about her but she constantly played Gospel Music in her office. I was so frightened of her that I would get nauseated when she walked in the office every morning.

But my turning point came when she threw a folder at me in front of a patient that I was pre-testing. So there I was pre-testing him and trying not to cry. But the harder I tried not to cry, the faster the tears fell. And before I knew it, I was crying really hard. I just put my face in my hands and cried right in front of him. He sat there patiently in the dark pre-testing room and waited for me to finish crying. When I was done, he handed me a tissue from his pocket, and he said to me....

“Learn as much as you can from her, and then bail the fuck out on that bitch”.

The next day, I put in my 2 week notice. But being the bitch that she was, she told me to leave right then, and I did. So there I was Job less and with a toddler. Then 2 weeks later I landed a job with Clarkson Eyecare in Ellisville, Ballwin, and Town & Country. I worked in all three offices at the same time, rotating days and responsibilities. These were wealthier offices with a different kind of clientele and Doctors, but sadly nothing was better. I actually felt worse working for Clarkson Eyecare because I always felt so out of place, especially being the ONLY black in each of the offices. The Doctors were always good to me but the Patients weren’t, and I just got tired of dealing with arrogant assholes.

With no money or job, I decided to go back to school for Dental assisting, and went to one of those low income, welfare mother, ghetto schools, and we all know the schools I’m talking about; The schools that they advertise during the commercial breaks for the Maury Povich and Jerry Spinger show. I hated dental assisting because the money was a step up from poverty level, and I’m allergic to poverty.

So there I was again, applying to yet another ghetto college for my LPN license. And this time I actually found something I enjoyed.

So as I sit here and reflect on my career decisions, I can honestly say that I’m quite proud of myself. I’ve always been a Hustler by nature, so hopefully I’ll never be broke again. But making good decisions and investing my money has been my greatest achievements.

A while back, I was talking to a client of mine who’s a Pharmacist, and I was joking about going to Pharmacy School to become a rich Pharmacist like him.

His response was…

“Well you already pissed away 4 years in all those baby colleges, so I’m pretty sure an extra 6 years in a REAL college won’t kill you”

I think he’s right.

Time to start college hunting again!

Thanks Dave

Comments

Popular Posts