Could racism be natural for some people?

Yes, sort of!

And I’m only basing this on my own personal experiences as a child. When a child has little exposure to other races, cultures, or communities that are different than their own, then naturally there is going to be this fear of “unfamiliar people”. Once the fear has subsided, then curiosity sometimes takes over.

I remember growing up and my parents never discussing race or politics around me or my brother, and the only white people we came in close proximity to were our grade school teachers, and there wasn’t a lot of them in the grade school that I went to.

But I remember an incident when I was 8 years old where my grandmother and I was visiting her friend’s Catholic Church one Sunday and me being TERRIFIED when I saw all the white people entering the church. I remember clinging to my Grandmother for dear life and not wanting to get out the car. She kept asking me what’s the matter, and the only thing I could say to her was that I didn’t want to go in.

After about 10 minutes she finally convinced me to get out the car, and inside the Church we went. Now let me remind you that this church was a Cathedral and as far as I was concerned there could have been 10 Million people in there. We sat towards the back next to this elderly white couple, and as I sat there constantly looking around to find at least 1 other black face in the sea of Caucasians, I soon realized that me and granny were the only two brown dots in the whole church, and I got nauseated. My saving grace were the kids sitting in the pews in front of us who kept dropping candy on the floor, and the elderly couple sitting next to me picking it up and giving it to me.

When church was over my Grandmother wanted to stay for the Repast, but I was adamant about wanting to leave and I started whining and stomping. When we finally jumped inside her Lincoln Continental, a huge wave of relief came over me. I look back at that situation today and try to analyze it, but I still don’t understand where the fear came from.

But I do know that when children fear other races such as I had, and their parents, communities, and the Media come along and plant hateful seeds that validate that fear, that’s when children start to act out. We see it all the time; Timmy doesn’t want to play with Rico because Rico is brown, or Rico Pushes Timmy to the ground and says he smells like a wet dog.

All that shit is learned behavior!

It wasn’t until High school that I actually became comfortable around white people, but still I had mostly black friends. It actually took my English teacher who was white, to make me feel truly comfortable, and to repay him for his good deeds and camaraderie, I fucked him my junior year.

Comments

Popular Posts