Spiritually and Practices....

I’m in the process of creating an altar for my incall since I spend most of my day hours there. Although I love Voodoo, an altar would be a little intimidating to my visitors, so my altar will be more Pagan centered than Voodoo. I keep altars in my residences not only as spiritual worshiping tools, but also for protection.

My spiritual advisor who has been an avid practice of Voodoo for 30 years told me that I need “living objects” on my altar, preferably fruits and vegetables that I grow on my own. So right now I’m in the process of growing tomatoes, cantaloupes, and peppers. She says when I personally grow the foods that are being offered to the loa and Orisha as a tribute; those spirits tend to gravitate to me more. Altars should be visually pleasing to the loa and Orisha, so it is suggested that we use nice colorful fabrics, candles, stones, crystals, healthy foods like fruits and veggies, and decorated pots and bottles.

This rich mixture of objects and Voodoo symbolism becomes a place where the deities interact with worshipers, and a point of contact between the spirit and human worlds can be formed.

Vodou (Voodoo) is such a misunderstood and misrepresented Religion, that even when I attempt to explain it’s origins to my Christian family members, I am immediately met with fear and opposition.

It’s that fear of the unknown.

My advisor tells me that I don’t always need to explain to others my Spirituality, I’m not Billy Graham or the religious Crusades. Just be good to people, take care of my family, pay my dues, pray to my Gods, and keep it moving!!



Comments

Popular Posts